Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Orchard Ladder Love

Last Saturday, we stopped at an outdoor flea/yard sale, and I had a good feeling about this one. There were tables of stuff set out in front of an old man's shop and old furniture spread around everywhere.

I asked again as I had at every sale that day, "Do you happen to have any old wooden ladders for sale?"

(I had gotten used to the funny looks by then.) 

This older gentleman let us rummage around inside his shop. There were old tractors, lots of furniture and machinery. Just as I asked him, I saw them. Two ladders in the back! He says his father got them from an orchard years ago.

$20 later we drove away with two wonderful ladders! (And a few other things.)


I had to trim about two feet off and then I gave it a light sanding with the random orbital sander to get rid of the surface grime.
Then I cleaned it with mineral spirits and found a spot for it in my dining area.


I found the flour sacks at a yard sale earlier in the day.



I love this, and it was rewarding to finally find it after looking for awhile.

I'm saving the second ladder, I haven't decided what to do with it yet.


I'm linking up to the Primp Link Party.


{Primp}







7 comments:

  1. Love it! I just found an old ladder too, but haven't posted about it yet. I'm not sure what to put on it. I love the flour sacks on it--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so cute! I love old things! And this has a story behind it which makes it that much more fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Melissa, I have an antique painters ladder that needs work, I have not gotten around to it yet. Maybe I will now, this turned out so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Melissa, thanks! There is a blog called Dreamy Whites that has an old two-part ladder that she uses as shelves - really neat, you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing where you have it. Lucky find and great job decorating with it! Visiting from the Primp party today.
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ladder! I have a thing for ladders too and have one very similar to yours! You got a great deal!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete