Friday, January 3, 2014

Don't cry over spilled milk...


…make that hot chocolate.




Steaming hot chocolate is made, I made it with milk on the stove, put a large marshmallow on top just how they like it. They rush out to the kitchen, so excited and she knocks hers over. Hot chocolate is running across and down the island, all over the floor. We wipe it up, I go to get a mop, then he spills his on the other side of the island. I over-react this time, "Why did you do that?!!!" I use all three of his given names. I realize as soon as I say it but it's too late, as he goes for a towel, he has that crumpled look on his face, trying not to cry. "I'm sorry Mom!"

 I'm the one who is in need of forgiveness. I tell them I'm so sorry for speaking loudly and then she's crying too, "I'm so sorry I spilled it, Mom." 

Later after they finished the next batch we talked about forgivness, about mercy and how God forgives us over and over. 

I want my children to see that I mess up, that I need God in my life. As a young parent, I didn't think I should ask for forgivness from my children when I was in the wrong, I thought it would weaken my authority. I was so so wrong. These children are little people who need our respect, and they need an example of how to forgive and ask for forgivness. They need to see God's grace shining through us. Holding them to a standard of perfection is just so unfair. I know I will mess up again, lose my temper, but I want to be quick to see it and not to leave a hurt in their little hearts.


"Grace
is when you get the good things you don't deserve.

Mercy
is when you're spared from the bad things you do deserve.

God
is generous with both."






8 comments:

  1. You are a good mama. Hugs from your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful example of your humble heart, Melissa! To see and understand this so early in your children's lives is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed with Anthony that when I'm quick to ask forgiveness he will always ask it of me for the littlest things, it's a good reminder for me to continue asking. Your such a good mommy, wish we lived closer to chat more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great object lesson! Little things in life can be big learning experiences for us and our children and have such a lasting impression on our children. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great example! Our God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really needed this reminder today!

    ReplyDelete