Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sickness, Power Outage and a Chickie Funeral.


Yes, we have had a lot going on the last couple of days! I woke up yesterday morning feeling like "something was not right!" (Madeline storybook quote) I could hardly believe it but I was definitely feeling feverish. I haven't had the old-fashioned flu in years. But I couldn't even sit up without getting dizzy.

The Pilot had left early for work and so it was up to me to get Big Sister up and ready for school. I ended up taking her in an hour late. I felt bad, it was only one mile to drive, but it was the best that I could do.

Then I got back home, put in a video for Little Brother and basically slept for most of the day.

We had some pretty extreme wind and lost our power yesterday afternoon. Good thing we have a generator - we used it for the chick's heat lamp.

The Pilot took the kids out to eat for dinner and brought me french fries, for some reason that was all I wanted. By the time they got home it was dark so I was able to eat my fries by candlelight.

This morning I woke up feeling so much better and now I feel normal. I'm so grateful (and surprised) that it only lasted one day. Those of you who are mothers know that when we get sick, we don't have the luxury of being taken care of. There are still little ones to feed and watch and the house always falls down around my ears. That being said, I'm so thankful that when my husband did get home from work, he took over with the children and that was such a relief! Maybe I need to get sick more often, it gives me a great appreciation for my husband!

So, I spent the day cleaning and catching up on laundry. and this afternoon we all went outside and picked up sticks that the wind storm had blown down.



We have had one little chick that was not doing so well and this morning it was dead. I think I felt just as bad as the children. It would not eat even though I tried everything I could think of. So we kind of knew it wouldn't make it. Big Sister and I wrapped it in some fabric scraps and buried it. She wanted to put some food with it. I'm not sure why, I think she has a pretty good understanding of death. She takes it in stride.

It's kind of a relief to know that we have a healthy "flock" now.

To those interested in buying some, if you take them now, they would be about six dollars each. I figured it up and that's about what I have in them. 
 The price would have to go up the longer we raise them to cover feed, ect. I know that you can by them cheaper at Tractor Supply and believe me, I won't be offended if anyone decides not to buy from me. I'm not trying to make any money, just cover costs. 
We may be able to keep more than I had originally thought, The Pilot has plans to build a more permanent chicken house that could hold a lot more. Maybe someday I'll have eggs to sell!


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are back in the land of the living! That sounded pretty miserable.

    ReplyDelete