Warning: this is a very long, picture heavy post!! I am including most of these pictures in case there is someone out there who is doing a project like this who could find this helpful. I know that I searched and looked at as many tutorials as I could find! So, please know that I won't be offended if you tire of this before getting to the end. :)
I left you last time with springs showing and everything stripped down to the frame.
It was my first time using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and I have to say, I love it!
Because it is so easy to sand, in fact, I got a little carried away with the sanding!
My daughter had fun helping.
These pictures show it before the wax.
And after the wax.
I did go over it with more clear wax because it felt too brown. Rachel from Vanhook &Co. suggested mixing the clear and dark waxes to lighten it up. Great idea, I'll try that next time.
Now I realize there are some photo gaps, there should be a picture of the webbing going on the back of the sofa, and of the material that I stretched over the springs.
I made a lattice of webbing on the back using a webbing stretcher to get it tight. Then I stapled ugly scrap fabric over that to make a solid base for the back padding. You can look at the first post to see how it was when I took it apart. I basically just reversed the steps.
Then I stretched some more scrap fabric over the springs. (great way to use up that ugly old fabric that we all have)
Below you can see the cotten batting in place. I was very fortunate to be able to reuse this. It was in good shape and already kind of molded to the right shape.
I took an old sheet and using the old fabric for a pattern, sewed a seam in the front so that I would have an edge to hand sew down.
Here i am sewing with a curved needle which, by the way is very helpful.
I'm just sewing a large whip stitch using a heavy thread. I sewed it to the fabric that was covering the springs. (Hope this is still making sense!)
This took quite a while for me, but it became fun, you just have to connect with your inner "Tailor".
Next, I stapled the fabric tightly in the back.
By the way, remember that with upholstery, tight is the key. I pulled fabric so hard that my hands would ache afterward. Maybe that's why my Mother always said it was such physically hard work.
I do think next time I would use something more sturdy than a sheet for this step. The staples ripped through the fabric a few times.
After I did the back, I pulled down the front and stapled it.
This was a cool, misty, early fall morning and I just rolled it out of the shop to work :)
After stapling, I trimmed the edge.
If I hadn't had to take the couch down to the frame, I may have left the old seat fabric on and just sewn the new fabric to that. It depends on if the old fabric and padding are in good condition and it won't show through the fabric, etc.
Ah, here are the pictures showing the webbing on the inside back.
and they also show the sheet fabric stapled down along the back of the seat.
next, I used the old seat fabric for a pattern and made my first cut in to the fabric!
Make sure that you cut something like this at least a few inches bigger than the old pattern, you may need it!
Here I am sewing tape along the edge where I will have to sew it down.
It's pretty much a repeat of the last step, get out that curved needle and start sewing!
I listened to a lot of upbeat music during this project, and raided my husband's shop refrigerator for sodas and his frappuchinos :) He spoils me!!
You do want to measure so that you have a straight line, I think I pinned down the edges on either side to make it tight while I sewed.
Then I pushed the fabric to the back, notching out to fit around the wood frame pieces.
Pulled it very tight and stapled along the back.
(This is the back view.)
Rookie mistake: I somehow cut the corners too close, I had to take out some padding and pull it very, very tight to make it reach, very scary!!
I stapled the front down trying to keep it as smooth as possible.
And here it is!
Upholstering the inside back!